- This event has passed.
Saturday 18th November 2017, 7:30pm
Pre-concert talk with the artists at 6:30pm
Venue: John Innes Conference Centre
- Beethoven: Seven Bagatelles, Op.33
- Haydn: Sonata in C minor, H.XVI/20
- Beethoven: Variations on ‘La Stessa La Stessissima’, WoO 73
- Thomas Adès: Darknesse Visible
- Beethoven: Sonata in A flat, Op.110
Imogen Cooper, one of this country’s best-loved pianists, plays Thomas Adès’ ‘Darknesse Visible’ – a piece that illuminates John Dowland’s lute song ‘In Darknesse let mee dwell’ from within. Beethoven’s penultimate sonata, Op.110, with its aria and its fugue, pays homage to another earlier master, Bach, while Haydn’s stormy C minor sonata has a strong claim to be regarded as the first truly great work of its kind in the pianist’s repertoire.